Explanation of Fees
Mandatory fees are assessed for university-related services available to students.
- Student Service Fee
$14.41 per hour
Student service fees are assessed in proportion to the number of semester credit hours for which a student registers to cover the cost of student services that directly involve or benefit students, including, but not limited to, recreational activities, artist and lecture series, cultural entertainment series, debating and oratorical activities and student government.
- Intercollegiate Athletics Fee
$10.00 per hour
This fee is assessed in proportion to the number of semester credit hours for which a student registers to cover the cost of UNT athletics programs, capped at 15 hours.
- Recreational Facility Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed Recreational Facility fee is collected from each enrolled student for the purpose of constructing and operating the Recreational Facility on campus.
- Environmental Services Fee
$5.00 Fall/Spring Only
The Environmental Services Fee is used to fund environmentally related projects/activities on campus such as energy and water conservation, waste reduction and recycling, sustainable campus dining and student projects. The fee is waived for students taking all of their courses off campus and is not charged for summer sessions.
- Student Union Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed Student Union fee is collected from each enrolled student for the purpose of operating, maintaining, improving and equipping the Student Union. Activities financed by the student union fee are limited to those in which the entire student body is eligible to participate.
- Technology Use Fee
$13.00 per hour
Technology use fees are collected in proportion to the number of credit hours for which a student registers to defray costs associated with the addition of instructional equipment in classrooms and student computer laboratories, development of the degree audit system and instruction-related activities in the Computing Center and classroom technology support.
- Medical Services Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
The fixed medical services fee is used solely to provide medical services to students enrolled at the university.
- Library Use Fee
$16.50 per hour
The library use fee is collected in proportion to the number of credit hours for which a student registers to support the development and maintenance of Library collections, as well as to provide expanded operating hours and other services to meet student needs.
- Undergraduate Advising Fee
$3.25 per hour
The undergraduate advising fee supports the advising function for undergraduate courses.
- Transportation Fee
$3.50 per hour
The transportation fee supports the shuttle bus systems that transports students to, and around, various locations on campus.
- International Education Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed international education fee is collected from each enrolled student to be used in support of an international education financial aid fund. This fund allows an equal opportunity for all students to participate in student exchange and study abroad programs.
- Publication Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed publication fee is collected from each enrolled student to defray costs associated with publication and distribution of schedules of classes, catalogs, tuition and fee registers and other publications available to all students.
- International Student Fee
$100.00 per semester
A fixed international student fee is charged to all non-immigrant visa students for each term in which they enroll in UNT.
Instructional fees vary by course and fall into the following two fee categories. Please note that for billing purposes, these fee categories are grouped together and billed as one instructional fee.
Instructional fees will be due at the time of registration or the payment deadline for early registered students. These fees are refundable according to the university refund policy. If a student desires to know what portion of an instructional fee falls into each category listed below, they may contact Student Accounting & University Cashiering Services at 940-565-3225 or the Registrar's Office at 940-565-2111.
- Academic Fees - Academic Fees are assessed at the college/school level based on the estimated costs of goods and services related to instruction at the college/school level. Academic fees are charged to cover consumable supplies, syllabi, tests, classroom guest lecturers, salaries and wages of employees who assist in the preparation, distribution, and supply of classroom materials and some equipment purchases related directly to student participation in the classroom.
- Laboratory Fees - Laboratory fees are only applicable to courses which require students to register for a laboratory section. Laboratory fees are collected to cover the cost of materials and supplies used by students in the laboratory. The laboratory fee may not be less than $2 nor more than $30 for any one semester or summer term.
Please see below for a listing of academic fees by College:
*Fees listed are charged per hour
|College||FY 17 Fee||Course Prefixes|
|CAS 1||$5.63||GEOG GEOL ARCH WMST WGST PHIL ECON SOCI COMM PSCI ARBC CHIN FREN GERM ITAL JAPN LANG LATI RUSS SPAN ENGL MATH PSYC HIST|
|CAS 2||$24.37||TNTX ANTH BIOC BIOL PHYS CHEM TECM|
|CAS 4||$57.34||RTVF CBCM MRTS DANC THEA|
|COE||$17.42||COUN EDHE EDSP DFST EPSY EDEC EDRE EDAD EDSE EDCI EDUC EDLL EDME EDBE EDLE KINE HLTH RECR PHED AEAH EDEE TNTX HDFS|
|CENG - UG||$47.00||BMEN CSCE EENG CNET ELET ENGR MEET MFET NUET MEEN MTSE|
|CENG - GR||$57.00||CSCE EENG MSET MEEN MTSE|
|COB||$15.76||ACCT FINA BLAW REAL RMIN BCIS DSCI MSCI ITDS MGMT BUSI LGAV LSCM MKTG|
|COM||$42.84||MUAC MUAG MUAM MUAS MUCM MUCP MUED MUEN MUET MUGC MUJS MULB MUMH MUSM MUTH (all MUSI prefixes)|
|CPACS||$15.53||SPHS BEHV PACS SOWK CJUS RHAB PADM EADP AGER|
|CMHT||$14.60||HMGT MSDE DRTL HFMD CMHT SMHM|
|COI||$13.36||LING INFO LTEC CECS ATTD|
|CVAD||$38.22||ART AEAH ADES ASTU|
|College||FY16 Fee||Grad/Undergrad||Course Prefixes|
|CMHT||$20.92||All||CMHT HMGT MDSE, DRTL, HFMD|
|College of Business||$19.17||ALL||ACCT BLAW, FINA, RMIN, REAL BCIS, DSCI MGMT, BUSI LGAV, LSCM, MKTG|
|College of Education||$37.00||GR||COUN, EDHE, EPSY, EDSP, DFST, EDEC, EDEE, EDRE, EDAD, EDSE, EDCI, EDUC, EDLL, EDME, EDBE, KINE, HLTH, RECR|
|College of Education||$19.62||UG||COUN, EDHE, EPSY, EDSP, DFST, EDEC, EDEE, EDRE, EDAD, EDSE, EDCI, EDUC, EDLL, EDME, EDBE, KINE, HLTH, RECR|
|College of Information||$13.20||ALL||LING SLIS INFO LTEC CECS ATTD|
|College of Music||$48.19||ALL||MUAC, MUAG, MUAM, MUAS, MUCM, MUCP, MUED, MUEN, MUET, MUGC, MUJS, MULB, MUMH, MUSM, MUTH (all MUSI prefixes)|
|College of Public Affairs and Community Service||$20.43||ALL||CJUS BEHV PACS SOWK APAN RHAB EADP PADM AGER SPHS|
|College of Visual Arts and Design||$49.29||ALL||AEAH ADES ASTU ART|
|School of Journalism||$48.75||ALL||JOUR|
|College of Engineering||$47.00||UF||CSCE EENG CNET, ELET, ENGR, MEET, MFET, MSET MEEN, MTSE BMEN|
|College of Engineering||$57.00||GR||CSCE EENG CNET, ELET, ENGR, MEET, MFET, MSET MEEN, MTSE BMEN|
|College of Arts and Sciences 1||$12.29||All||ENGL INST GEOG GEOL ARCH NCTM PSCI PHIL PSYC SOCI WMST HIST COMM|
|College of Arts and Sciences 2||$25.51||All||LANG LATI|
|College of Arts and Sciences 3||$37.80||All||CHEM TNTX ECON TECM MATH ARBC CHIN FREN GERM ITAL JAPN RUSS SPAN AERO|
|College of Arts and Sciences 4||$76.70||All||BIOC BIOL UCRS DANC THEA CBCM RTVF PHYS|
Specific Program Fees
- College of Business Master's students are charged a Master's Program Fee. The fee is a flat $500.00 per semester. The purpose of the fee is to provide enhanced support services to College of Business master's students.
- College of Information Ph.D. Learning Technology online distance delivered students are charged a Distance Delivered Fee. The fee is $892.00 per course. The purpose of the fee is to provide enhanced support services. (Effective Summer 2016)
Out-Of-State-Teaching Fee (OSTF)
- Non-resident students living outside of Texas while taking UNT courses (typically online) are charged an Out-of-State Teaching Fee in lieu of tuition and instructional fees. This fee must cover the cost of instruction and is set by each academic department annually. The OSTF rates (per semester credit hour) effective for Fall 2016-Summer 2017 can be found here.
- Property Damage Deposit
All students, except those enrolled in only off-campus courses or covered by other specific waivers, must pay a $10.00 General Property Deposit at the time of first registering at the university. The deposit may be forfeited to cover any outstanding financial obligation at the university. The fee will otherwise be refunded to the student upon withdrawal or graduation from the university. If the deposit has not been refunded to the student within 4 years of the last enrollment, it will be forfeited as specified by state law.
- Late Registration Fee
A flat fee of $50.00 (effective Summer 2013) will be charged to students registering at any time during the designated late registration period.
- National Student Exchange fee
A flat fee of $200.00 will be charged to students who apply for an exchange to another university through National Student Exchange.
- NSE Incoming Student Fee
A flat fee of $25.00 will be charged to students coming to UNT on exchange from another university through National Student Exchange.
- Credit by Exam Fee
UNT awards undergraduate college credit on the basis of local and national examinations, subject to general limitations. Examinations are offered by several UNT departments. A $53.00 fee is collected from those students who take credit by examination at UNT.
- University Center at Dallas Fee
Students enrolling for upper-division undergraduate courses or graduate courses offered by the partner universities of the university Center at Dallas, may enroll at their home institution for courses offered by the other UCD universities. UCD is located in downtown Dallas. A $15.00 per hour fee is collected from students who are enrolled at UCD.
- Collin Higher Education Center Fee
Through Collin College, UNT offers one bachelor’s degree, 2 master’s degrees and 2 doctoral degrees at the Collin Higher Education Center. A $30.00 per hour fee is collected for students enrolled in UNT classes there.
- North Central Texas College Math Fee
A fee collected for students enrolled in NCTM math courses through North Central Texas College which pays for UNT instruction. The fee is charged as follows: In-District (Cooke County Residents) $70 per hour, Out-of-District (In-State) $118 per hour, and Out-of-State $200 per hour.
- International Student Health Insurance
Health insurance is required for international students and will be assessed automatically at the time of registration for classes. For further information, please contact the UNT Student Health and Wellness Center.
- Optional Practical Training Fee All F-1 international students who choose to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), will be required to pay the OPT Case Management Fee. This fee is separate from the USCIS application fee. This fee will be used to subsidize the costs associated with the mandatory case management for students on Optional Practical Training after graduation.
12 Month Post-Completion OPT: $100
17 Month OPT STEM Extension: $100
- Parking Fees
- Child Development Laboratory
- Proficiency Exam Fees
Student Use of English: $15.00
Foreign Language Exam (Graduate): $15.00
- Exam for Credit or Placement
- GED Exam (Cash Only)
- Placement Service Fee (for 6 months/former students)
- Returned Check Service Charge
- Reinstatement Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Replacement ID Card
- National Student Exchange Fee
- NSE Incoming Student
- Graduation and Regalia Fees
Late Filing Fee: $25.00
Teacher Certification: $75.00
Microfilm Master's/Doctorate: $25.00
Degree candidates who are planning to attend the commencement exercise must acquire the appropriate regalia from the UNT Bookstore.