Eligibility Requirements for a Spouse/Dependent:

  1. Be a spouse/child of a Veteran who, at the time of entry into active duty of the U.S. Armed Forces, (DD Form 214 required) & (40 TAC §461.40)
    • designated Texas as Home of Record;
    • or entered the service in Texas;
    • or was a Texas resident;
  2. Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions as indicated on the Veteran's Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,
  3. Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);
  4. Be a spouse / child of a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or the Texas National Guard who died as a result of service-related injuries or;
    • 100% total and permanently service-connected disabled as determined by VA with a current Summary of Benefits Letter as proof,
    • or Missing in Action (MIA),
    • or Killed in Action (KIA).
  5. Have no federal Veteran's education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31); for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;
  6. Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
  7. Be classified by the institution as a Texas resident; and
  8. Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college's governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
  9. Meet the GPA requirement of the institution's satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution's financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.

Request for Benefits